We are living in what the Greeks called the kairos—the right moment—for a ‘metamorphosis of the gods,’ of the fundamental principles and symbols. This peculiarity of our time is the expression of the unconscious human within us who is changing. Coming generations will have to take account of this momentous transformation if humanity is not to destroy itself through the might of its own technology and science. So much is at stake and so much depends on the psychological constitution of the modern human. ~ Carl Jung
There’s a lot about the End Days swirling round on the Internet. Yet no one has the copyright on doomsday. How about a pause for an Einsteinian millisecond to consider that maybe instead of it being the End—an apocalyptic prediction that recurs at each new stage of human development—could today’s civilizational crisis be a hero’s journey , an initiatory crisis for humanity? This is the big existential question that the Bioneers’ groundbreaking new film based on the work of astrologer Richard Tarnas poses, by taking visionary astrology to the masses—something for those of us who work with the numinous and the mysteries to celebrate. [https://youtu.be/JH0BOcSGXlA, https://youtu.be/h4Ji907EXvc]
Looking through the lens of astrology, we are wandering dazedly in a post Uranus/Pluto world, changed beyond all recognition. In the years since 2011, the seven seismic shocks of this most powerful planetary pairing have cracked wide open old unchallenged beliefs about global economics, politics, religion, climate change and individual freedoms. We are facing not only inconvenient but undeniable truths about ourselves as individuals and as a species.
During the Cardinal Cross years we tried to paste over the cracks, attempting to solve new problems with the same thinking that created them. Now, the Mutable years begin with Centaur Asbolus the Seer in Gemini, Jupiter/Orcus in Virgo, Nessus/Neptune/Chiron/Borasisi in Pisces and Saturn in Sagittarius. Sagittarius is the sign of otherness, the most different sign, the feeling of which is often associated with the kind of longing that we think of as spiritual or mystical. It contains a homing signal drawing our consciousness toward a level that goes beyond what we consider normal. Life just got bigger, more fluid, more limitless and more plastic: life’s the material and you’re the creator.
Right now as the earth spins round the Sun, Mercury is retrograde, taking us deeper into every single relationship we have, with ourselves and our myriad subpersonalities and with the world around us.
All the old signposts and certainties are disappearing. Uranus and Eris are conjunct opposite Haumea, sending tremors of truth back down the timeline from 2016. Jupiter and Neptune are opening the gates to the transpersonal in everyday life as Saturn the Dweller on the Threshold aligns with Centaur Nessus and scales fall from our eyes.
Saturn-Neptune periods tend to be among the most psychologically and spiritually demanding of times as well as the most likely to call forth genuine nobility of spirit and profundity of vision…. In perhaps its most admirable form, the Saturn-Neptune complex appears to be associated with the courage to face a hard and often tragic reality without illusion and still remain true to the ideals and dreams of a better world. ~ Richard Tarnas, Cosmos and Psyche
The Mutable Years Timeline
- August 2015 – September 2016: Jupiter in Virgo
- August 2015 – December 2017: Saturn in Sagittarius
- September 2015: Jupiter in Virgo opposes Neptune in Pisces
- October 2015 – April 2017: North Node of Fate in Virgo
- March 2015 – 2017: Six eclipses across the Virgo/Pisces axis
- November 2015, June 2016 and September 2016: Saturn square Neptune
- July 2010 – August 2018: Chiron in Pisces
- February 2015 – 2018: Nessus in Pisces
- 2011 – 2024: Neptune in Pisces
As the Node of Fate crosses the World Axis from Libra to Virgo, the Mutable Cross of Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces is being activated for the coming several years.
Esoterically, this Cross produces the circumstances which transform us as a human beings into seekers, evolving us from the personality level to steadily integrating our soul. At first this happens in response to circumstance, and later to soul inclination. The Mutable Cross of temporal and temporary change, of fluidity and of constantly altering challenges which drives our souls within from one extreme to another, shuttles our lives between these pairs of opposites. It slowly reorients us to a higher vision, to a wider horizontal and vertical grasp of reality until we becomes an aspirant, a disciple, a World Server.
From October 8 through to April 2017, the Axis of Pisces/Virgo becomes the lightning rod for earthing the transpersonal into daily life through Saturn in Sagittarius. The poles of Pisces and Virgo are asking us to confront the known and unknown, light and dark aspects of ourselves to realize and transcend false binaries/dualities/ideas. Taking it all together, there’s a powerful planetary emphasis on some of the most fundamental drives that make up the human condition—love and meaning—highlighted in the sky. Along with the kind of surrender, faith and sacrifice of perspectives that Pisces/Virgo often asks of us, it’s very likely to involve karmic dynamics now rising to the surface of consciousness. None of this is happening in a logical, rational, straightforward way—we’re all in a big boat, riding the same waves of Mystery and Spirit.
Emerging Themes of the Changing of the Gods
- Experiencing Sacred Restlessness— the yearning to find faith in something bigger than your Self. The yearning to move from separation and alienation to belonging on the planet and in the cosmos.
- Dissolving old victim stories—being a cause, not an effect. “We all have and have had hard knocks—truly gutting ones—yet many do not speak of them, they are busy making new life. Do likewise.” ~Clarissa Pinkola Estes
- Dropping ancient burdens we didn’t even know we were carrying, from the ancestral, past life or other dimensions. It may or may not be necessary to know the details, as the deeper unravelling, unwinding, dissolving and melting occurs most powerfully on the feeling level, deep in the soul, sometimes beyond emotions. Something ends, is done, finished.
- Teaching others about waking from the trance of old wounding because you are a witness who has risen from the flames.
- Remembering who you are—gathering the clues about your Soul’s Code
- Calling back your projections to find your own gold, to become your own authority. Living your deepest most heartfelt values day by day. Walking your talk.
- Facing realities without denying them: “When things are shaky and nothing is working, we might realize that we are on the verge of something. We might realize that this is a very vulnerable and tender place, and that tenderness can go either way. We can shut down and feel resentful or we can touch in on that throbbing quality.” ~Pema Chodron.
- Grounding your biggest dreams through consistent spiritual and artistic practices, dreamwork and grief work.
- Collaborating with others to create new narratives of the World Soul drawn from a range of trusted sources including biology, cosmology, mythology, technology and psychology—universal, simple, emotionally powerful and evocative of our higher potentials.
- Moving from separation to community—participating in the transition to a global eco-civilization via the world brain of mass communications. The collapse of borders, within and without.
I think the world now is begging us to let the breaking happen. Within. To mirror and heal the breaking happening all around, without. We are being asked to break. Break up. Break down. Break out. Shatter. Bleed. You’re on the right track now. The right track to break into radical loving like a thief hungry for soul, ready to serve sweet, dark humanity and the earth’s tangled questions that insist we return her urgent call to let our hearts break into compassionate action. ~ Melissa La Fla